Have you ever noticed that when you are stressed, your skin tends to break out more?
If you are prone to skin problems, stress aggravates and worsen skin conditions like psoriasis, rosaceous, and eczema. It even makes it hard for pimples/ acne to heal. Stress can also cause hives (a type of Urticaria) and other types of skin rashes and trigger a flare-up of fever blisters.
When stressed, our body produces cortisol and other hormones, which activate sebaceous glands to produce more oil. Oily skin is more prone to acne and other skin problems. Moreover, you might skip on your daily skin care rituals when stressed and this, in turn, can aggravate skin issues.
Skin problems by themselves can also be stressful. Some get so embarrassed by the condition of their skin that they tend to keep the problem to themselves without seeing a dermatologist. This adds more to the existing stress, worsening the skin condition.
Though stress is an inevitable part of everyday life, steps can be taken to reduce its effects on the skin. If you have a skin problem that does not heal or keeps coming back, it is time to think about how you manage stress and work on it.
Try the following tips to reduce stress:
- Take good care of your skin: Though you may be tired or stressed, don’t neglect your daily skincare routine.
- Exercise regularly: It keeps you fit and sweat helps to clean out the pores on the skin.
- Make time for yourself: Listen to music, read, even if you have just 10 minutes. Leisurely activities will make you happy on the inside, and this will reflect on your skin too.
- Go for a leisurely stroll: Expose your skin to the elements and let it breathe.
- Practice deep breathing: Meditation, and yoga on a regular basis help to manage stress.
- Sleep well: Ensure you get 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep each night.
- Learn to say ‘No’: Unreasonable deadlines and tight work schedules. Do not accept or commit to any work you can’t manage.
The key for a healthy skin is to manage stress.
Be patient with yourself. Consistent efforts will give you good results.