Did you know? India is the largest producer of sugarcane! Sugarcane juice or ganne ka ras, a sweet liquid juice derived from the stalks of sugarcane is easily available and loved by many over soft drinks and other unhealthy beverages. Not just India, it is a common beverage produced in Asia, Brazil, and South America.
Sugarcane juice is a good source of antioxidants like polyphenols and flavonoids that create a protection shield against lifestyle diseases like cancer, cardiac ailments, liver infections, and a range of other illnesses like jaundice, inflammation and, UTI (Urinary Tract Infections).
Looking into some nutritional facts, we can get an idea of whether sugarcane juice leads to weight gain or not.
CALORIES – 100 ml of sugarcane juice gives 84 calories with 100% of the calories from carbohydrates.
CARBOHYDRATES – 100 ml of sugarcane juice contains about 13g of carbohydrates that are contributed by natural sugars like sucrose, fructose, etc.
PROTEINS AND FATS - Sugarcane juice contains negligible amounts of fats and proteins.
You may also like: Four amazing health benefits of fresh ginger carrot juice
Sugarcane for Weight Loss
Sugarcane juice has several health benefits and is good for people aiming for weight loss if consumed in limited amounts.
- Sugarcane turns down the bad cholesterol and the soluble fibers present in it which help in weight reduction.
- Its diuretic properties remove toxins from the body and promote kidney health.
- Though it is made purely of sugar, it contains unrefined sugar i.e. sugarcane constitutes only 10-15% of sugar concentration and the remaining of it is water, fiber, enzyme, vitamin, and minerals.
- Also, a glass of sugarcane juice consumed daily does not necessarily lead to weight gain as this can cut down sweet cravings for unhealthy foods like carbonated beverages, sweets, etc. Sugarcane juice helps in boosting metabolism and promotes digestive health.
- Some people also use sugarcane slimming vinegar (ganne ka sirka) as it is rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus and cuts off excess fats from the body. It can be used by making a mixture of cane vinegar (one spoon), fresh lemon (one teaspoon), and adding it to a glass of water. It should ideally be consumed half an hour before meals.
You may also like: Three simple juice to detox
Best Time to Drink Sugarcane Juice
Sugarcane juice can be consumed any time of the day, any month if available, but the best time to relish the delicious beverage is before noon. According to Ayurveda, while drinking any beverage one should be in a sitting position to boost digestive activity and so that the body absorbs it efficiently. Standing position is related to indigestion and heartburn.
Sugarcane During Summers
Damn! Summertime becomes the worst when heat is at its peak and you can’t help feeling fatigued after every few hours due to dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Some people even develop ‘Hyperhidrosis’ which results in excessive sweating. Sugarcane juice is the best energy booster, and a great way to beat all of these.
Spice up your sugarcane juice with lemon, mint and ginger to make it a delectable health beverage this summer!
You may also like: Cool cucumber mint juice with a twist.
Rare Side Effects of Sugarcane Juice
There are no such side effects of sugarcane but despite the numerous benefits sugarcane has in the health box for us, it may need to be avoided or consumed in limited amounts by some people like those suffering from diabetes. Excess (We repeat- ONLY EXCESS) sugarcane juice can also lead to heart ailments, headaches, dizziness due to the presence of ‘policosanol’ in it. A normal person can include a glass (two in case of Jaundice) of fresh sugarcane juice in their daily routine.
A Few Words from The Wellness Corner
Drinking sugarcane juice can have amazing benefits on your health from skincare to weight loss and the natural sugar present in it can blow away your sugar cravings. Get to know other ways how you can include this alkaline natured sugarcane in your fat-burning diet from our coaches at The Wellness Corner. Try including it in your routine and share it with us (Download our wellness app and simply post it in our circles), how did it work in your favor?