Weekend Recipe - Pitla
- 11 Months ago
Ms Jyotsna Kewadkar, a good friend of mine from Maharashtra, shares this simple pitla recipe with us......
- Besan (channa flour / chickpea flour) - 1/2 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) - 1 medium
- Garlic (finely chopped or crushed) - 10 cloves
- Green chillies (slit) - 2
- Turmeric powder (haldi) - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves (torn) - a few
- Asafetida (hing) - a pinch
- Coriander leaves (chopped) - 2 teaspoons
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Method of preparation -
Mix water with besan till you get a consistency which is thinner than bhajia batter. Add salt to the batter. In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. After they splutter, add garlic, green chillies, curry leaves, onion, haldi and hing. Roast for a bit. Add the batter, stirring continuously to prevent lumps. Once the batter comes to a boil, simmer the flame and let it cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with bhakri or rice.
Note - if you use an iron kadai the flavors come out better. You can add a little ghee or butter while eating.