Feeling stressed out is okay when you are having a bad day or things don't turn out the same way. But stressing over things for long can impact your physical and mental health in a negative way. Achieving a serene or calm mind is what we all look forward to harmonize our thoughts and control our triggers. Here our experts have enlisted 3 seated twist yoga asana to help you feel relaxed, calm, and grounded.
Yoga Asanas For Relaxation
#1. Parivrtta Sukhasana
Parivrtta sukhasana is one of the easy yoga poses that involve a body twist. It is a useful posture for stretching your overall body and relieving stress and tension. Parivrtta is a Sanskrit word that means revolved and sukhasana means comfortable pose. This is a great pose for removing toxins out of your body, improving your kidney and digestive health while boosting your overall energy.
Practice The Pose
- Start with a sukhasana pose with your legs extended before you. Fold your legs in a cross-legged pose.
- Keep your spine straight and breathe normally.
- Place your left palm on the floor near to the left hips with your fingers facing outwards.
- Breathe out normally while twisting your torso and neck to the left. Simultaneously turn your right hands to your left knee.
- Breath out and turn your upper body further to your left. Try to look back to your shoulders.
- Ensure that your spine is straight and your head is stretched during the twist.
- Balance the same pose for 8 breaths to 15 breaths. Breathe mindfully.
- Relax and release the pose while inhaling. Twist your torso back to a normal position. Keep your hands on your knees or thighs.
- Repeat the same posture to your right side.
Also read: 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
#2. Vakrasana (Seated Spinal Twist)
Vakrasanais is called a simplified posture of Ardhamatsyendrasana. This is a great spinal twist asana, performed to twist and stretch your torso and abdomen muscles while burning your belly fat. It assists in encouraging mobility, enhancing your digestive health, and detoxifying your body.
Practice The Pose
- Sit down extending your legs progressing on the ground.
- Place your hands on the thighs or buttocks as per your comfort.
- Flex your right leg in a position that the right foot is alongside the left knee and the right knee elevated upward.
- Inhale and exhale, turn to the right, keep the left arm by the external side of the right knee or hold the right ankle with the left hand.
- Take the right hand behind the back while placing the palms on the mat or floor.
- Look behind towards your right side.
- Place the position as long as comfortable.
- Take a deep breath and relax.
- Repeat the same posture to the other side.
Also read: 5 Yin Yoga Asanas For Inner Peace
#3. Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana (Dynamic Spinal Twist)
Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana gets its name from Sanskrit where “Gatyatmak” means “Faster” or “Quick”, “Meru” means “Spinal”, “Vakra” means “Twist” and “Asana” means “Pose” or “Posture”. It is very useful for people with reduced vitality and a stiff back. This yoga asana helps in toning the pelvic organs and muscles. It also eliminates energy blockages in the spine, activates your lungs and heart, and improves the endocrine function.
Practice The Pose
- Sit with both legs outstretched on the floor & Separate the legs as far apart.
- Try to keep the knees straight throughout the practice.
- Stretch the arms sideways at shoulder level.
- While keeping the arms straight, Exhale & twist to the left, and bring the right hand down towards the left big toe.
- Stretch the straight left arm behind the back as the trunk twists to the left, keeping both the arms in a straight line
- Turn the head to the left and gaze at the left outstretched hand.
- Inhale & return to the initial position.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Practice 10 to 20 rounds of The Dynamic Spinal Twist Pose.
- Start slowly and then gradually increase the speed
In A Nutshell
Yoga practices can assists you in developing mind and body bringing various health benefits. Yet, this is not a substitute for medicine. Consult with a doctor if you're feeling sick for a long time and feeling. If anxiety and stress have grounded you for a long time, talk to our verified therapists with The Wellness Corner. Just know that your health is important than other materialistic things in the world.