“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” ― Lao Tzu
Many a times the pattern of self-talk that we have developed is negative. This bucket of negativity causes a dark ripple that extents in all corners of our lives. Our conversations come back to what is wrong with the world and we are always expecting the worst.
So how can we begin to make our world lighter and more positive? Below are 6 steps that will help you to improve your approach towards your life to make it more positive.
- Be grateful: Practicing gratefulness brings a shift in one’s perspective which can lead to an individual to have a healthy thinking. Keeping a gratitude journal or have a gratitude partner to communicate three things for which you are grateful will lead your path to healthy thinking.
- Two Steps Forward: Be patient with yourself. Try an observe your thought pattern. See if you can observe yourself judging others, focusing on failures, complaining about work, or criticizing about yourself and your body. When you observe these thoughts, counter each thought with two positive observations or gratitude’s. It is like taking two steps forward after you take a step back.
- Confident posture: The mind-body have a deep connection as both have a profound impact on each other. Try to stand up straight, chin held high, shoulders back. Feel powerful. Feel positive. Carrying yourself with a positive posture will help your mind to feel more positive.
- Smile: you can instantly change the way you feel with a simple act of smiling. Weather you sitting at your work-station, or driving your bike or simply walking down the street. Just a simple smile can trick your brain into feeling good.
- Ditch the Naysayer: If you are surrounded with a bucket full of negative people, it may be time to re-evaluate your friends and surround yourself with elevating individuals.
- Do something kind: Random acts of kindness like feeding a stray dog, or helping someone cross the road, can give a big boost to your self- image and help you stay more positive.
Don’t wonder whether the glass is half empty or half full. The glass is always refillable.