Our immune system has many ways to fight an infection, one way is forming proteins often called antibodies and another is through activating cells that help to kill the pathogen. The immune response differs from person to person and it has more to do with the existing situation of a person depending on factors like severity of disease or comorbidities.
We all know that getting vaccinated during the Covid-19 pandemic isn’t the only preventive measure to boost immunity. While it plays a major part, we need to emphasize basic ways like including Ayurveda in our life for a healthy and happy living.
Kadhas are Indian Ayurvedic drinks that are made up of herbs and spices often consumed to treat cough, cold, headaches, and fever. They are considered the most natural way of curing ailments because of the antioxidants present in them.
Traditional Homemade Ayurvedic Kadha for Immunity
The Ministry of AYUSH has recommended Kadhas as a self-care measure (during COVID-19) with special reference to respiratory health in its immunity-boosting advisory. So, here’s a simple Kadha recipe for Covid-19 that you can make at home with ease.
Kadha Recipe for Coronavirus:
Ingredients you will need-
- ¼ spoon of ground cinnamon or 2-inch Cinnamon stick
- 1-inch fresh peeled ginger or ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 6-8 leaves of Tulsi (Basil leaves)
- 1 glass water
- 4-5 cloves
- 5-6 black pepper
- Half teaspoon honey
- Take a clean container, pour water into it and boil it.
- Meanwhile, take the cloves, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and finely crush these ingredients in a mortar and pestle (or you can use a chopping board and rolling pin).
- Add these ingredients into the boiling water.
- Now, add tulsi leaves to it.
- Leave the decoction to heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When the Kadha quantity reduces to half, strain it in a glass.
- Your immunity Kadha is ready, add honey if you want to improve the taste.
You may also like: Tulsi Green Tea - A Tea with Benefits
Benefits of Ayurvedic Kadha
- Prevent infections- Ayurvedic decoctions are rich in vitamins along with antioxidants and vital minerals that help in strengthening your immune system and mitigates infections.
- Improves your skin- Covid-19 patients have often complained about skin rashes, COVID toes and blisters. Ayurvedic supplements and Kadhas have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help purify your blood and heal you from inside.
- Treatment for bone, muscles, and nerves- People suffering from joint and muscle pain have benefited from Ayurvedic remedies like Ayurvedic oil and kadhas to relieve that pain. Herbs like Nirgundi and Shallaki strengthen the joints and improve flexibility.
- Reduces Hair Fall- Hair fall during post-Covid-19 recovery is a common problem due to fever and illness. Ayurvedic Kadhas have anti-aging properties that help to slow down the aging process and make your hair healthy.
- Urinary Tract Infections- Ayurvedic treatment is an excellent way to medicate kidney and urinary tract infections. In Ayurveda, the disruption of the 3 doshas causes these infections which mostly relate to what you eat, your lifestyle as well as emotions. Kadhas detox your system, decrease stress, and balance the doshas which diminish the infections.
Is there a possibility of side effects?
There shall be no such side effect if the ingredients are added in appropriate amounts. Make sure that you do not exceed the spice/ingredient quantity as it can cause nausea or a burning sensation in the throat.
Now You Know
Healing is a subjective process. Ancient knowledge of Ayurveda and its treatments have played an important role globally. Yet again during these contagious Covid-19 times, it has shown remarkable results. If you are already on the same path, bravo, and if not it’s time to adopt an Ayurvedic lifestyle for healthy living.
Every individual has a different immunity system and will respond to these Kadhas also distinctly. While some people will get relief within 3-4 days after its regular consumption, it can stretch to a week or more for others. Our nutritionists on The Wellness Corner have a diverse knowledge of Ayurveda which goes much more beyond just Kadhas. You can get your food plans curated according to your dosha and lead a balanced life.