Fenugreek or Methi is commonly used as a culinary herb in India, to dole out lip-smacking delicacies. One herb with multiple benefits that helps in recovering from diabetes, treating skin pigmentation, spicing up your personal life, balancing blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Methi seeds can also be used to treat several hair-related problems such as hair fall, dandruff, dryness, etc.
Here are some easy ways to use methi seeds and its benefits to maintain strong, shiny, and dandruff-free hair:
Hair Fall Reduction
Methi seeds (dana methi) are high in protein and nicotinic acid, both of which are vital for rebuilding hair follicles, promoting hair growth, preventing hair loss and thinning.
Method 1 (Methi Water Paste)-
- Make a paste of methi powder and water.
- Apply the paste to your hair and keep it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly after 30 minutes.
Method 2 (Methi Coconut Oil)-
- Add 3 tablespoons of methi seeds in a 3/4th glass of coconut oil and place it in a water bath.
- Let the boiling water heat the oil mixture.
- Now pour this mixture into a glass bottle and place it in a sunny place for 7 days.
- Shake the bottle once in a while.
- Strain the oil and store it in a container.
- Massage your scalp with this oil at least an hour before shampoo.
You may also like: Tips to arrest hair fall
Dandruff is essentially flaky skin caused due to the dry scalp or under-nourished hair. Methi has been used for many years in India to cure this recurring problem. It contains many vital oils and skin-enriching elements that help keep the scalp hydrated and moist, thus preventing dandruff.
- Soak around 2 tablespoons of methi seeds in water overnight.
- Blend it in a mixer to make a fine paste.
- Mix the paste with a cup of curd and apply it to your hair.
- Keep the mask for an hour and rinse it off with a shampoo.
- Apply regularly once a week to effectively prevent dandruff and itchy or flaky skin.
You may also like: Try these simple things to keep dandruff at bay.
For Shiny Hair
Methi seeds are rich in lecithin, an emulsifying agent which acts as an excellent hair conditioner. The soaked methi seeds when crushed create slimy mucilage which makes the hair smooth and shiny.
Home Remedy for Shiny Hair
Method 1 (Methi and Coconut)-
- Add methi seeds to coconut oil and keep them soaked overnight.
- Use this tonic oil, to massage your hair and scalp at least thrice a week.
- Not only does this therapy give you shiny hair, but it also reduces hair fall and promotes hair growth.
Method 2 (Methi Hibiscus Paste) -
- Make a ground paste of methi seeds along with hibiscus flowers and apply it on your hair, as well as the entire scalp.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes and rinse later.
- Mixing methi and hibiscus flowers increase its conditioning properties and give you shiny hair.
Method 3 (Methi Curd Mask)
- Soak 2 tablespoons of methi in soak 4 tablespoons of curd overnight.
- In the morning, blend into a thick paste.
- Massage the paste gently on the scalp and apply to roots.
- After an hour, wash with lukewarm water.
If you are thinking of leaving the fenugreek mask on your hair overnight, go ahead but make sure stains on the bedsheet don’t bother you. Leaving masks overnight is going to be an uncomfortable task for sure.
You may also like: Simple hair masks for healthy hair
DIY Fenugreek Shampoo at Home
Most of the shampoos available in the market are loaded with hard chemicals that extract natural oils from your hair and can leave them malnourished, causing scalp irritation, dandruff, and other hair damage. The best way to keep these hair troubles at bay is to make a natural one right at home. How? Here are the steps-
- Leave fenugreek in water overnight, grind it to turn it into a paste.
- Add one scoop of shikakai to it.
- Add half scoop of green gram flour.
- Mix well and use it as a shampoo.
Ways of Eating Fenugreek
- Fenugreek seeds can be soaked overnight and consumed on an empty stomach the next day.
- Sprout them and eat them as a part of a salad.
- Grind them and sprinkle the powder in your dishes to add flavor and yield health benefits in a yummy way.
- You can also make a paste and use it as you use ginger or garlic paste.
- If you have fenugreek leaves instead of fenugreek seeds, leave them in water overnight. Consume the water after straining the next morning
- Some yummy recipes: Methi Garlic Naan , Baked Methi Muthias, Methi Roti
A caution for pregnant women: Do not consume excess fenugreek or methi seeds as they induce contraction due to high heat tendency.
Try the above methods and add them in your beauty routine to get the best out of methi seeds. Natural remedies take time to show results but are definitely effective. Therefore, be regular because good things take time. Our experts have curated a list of other fantastic remedies to help you with your hair problems. Check here and suit yourself!
There is nothing like high or low maintenance when it comes to beauty. You don't have to go too far to enhance your beauty and can attain it by following the right skin and hair routine curated by professionals on The Wellness Corner app. Explore natural beauty tips and updates that you can check out anywhere, anytime!